Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Too much pressure

The Young Grad has been pressure-washing for me this week. Suddenly the house looks quite all right with the grime gone from the gutters and the stucco walls washed down. We're using a cleaner that's "not harmful to pets plants or people." Johnny thinks it would be easier if it actually was harmful to moss. It doesn't want to come off the concrete walks.

Fixed/replaced the downspouts! It has been hard to find the right type without going the expensive way and calling in the gutter people to supply and install them (last time I did that it was several hundred dollars.) But Johnny and Nellie's former teacher had a bunch of pieces at her garage sale last week in the free pile, so these are Mme. LeGoff's downspouts.

There are only a few days left (and most of them I will be working at the office all day) before I feel I have to put this little place up for sale. Before all the potential buyers take off for summer vacation and the market slows down. And there's way too many things on the to-do list: Install kitchen cabinet handles, deal with the crawl space, paint baseboards and interior doors, install interior doors and door handles, paint the exterior trim, get rid of the weedy mess around the garage... I'm trying to figure out whether it makes sense to add construction of a small deck off the back of the house. More of a viewing platform, I think, since I only want it to be about 6 feet deep. Should I really be adding another project to this long list? (I won't be building it myself, fortunately, Joe would do it.) Or should I just spread some pea gravel around the area and paint the ugly concrete step? That might involve some jackhammering of asphalt and a lot of wear and tear on the old joints.

No comments: