Monday, May 7, 2007

Amateur hour


It's taking longer than planned, of course, to get things done
(demolition, in particular. Amazing how hard those rotten old plywood
subfloors hold on when you're trying to pull them out.) Then I had the
plumber say he was going to come a week later than originally promised. Apparently he wasn't formally booked to do my job on the week we agreed
on in writing. That's because bookings had to go through his assistant, though
no one told me that. So I booked the floor refinisher, and now all of a
sudden everyone else (carpenter, electrician) wants to be here at the
same time as the floors are being done this week. The floor refinisher
got P.O.'d at me because I was going to get him to patch an area where
the hardwood is missing in the hallway, then changed my mind because
I've now got enough free oak flooring left over from the kitchen to do
that area too....he called me an amateur. Funny how much that comment
stings. Of course I'm an amateur, but I guess I feel that attitude
coming from a lot of the people I deal with in this, including the
plumber and the guy at the "wholesale" appliance store who keeps quoting
me prices that are higher than the ones he gives Morley, my real estate
pal. The appliances are cheaper at Future Shop anyway, so I bought a
stove there today instead.

Anyway, the windows look great with the wood trim installed, and the
awful shed and rabbit hutches are demolished and gone to the dump, and
things are moving along.

No comments: