Friday, August 17, 2007

No more euphorbia euphoria


The last two days I've been trying to get the garden under control here at Fallingdowne. The weeds are rampant, particularly the couch grass (is that how you spell it?) that invades everywhere and defies weeding and smothering. I'm clearing great swathes of fussy things that are hard to weed around, and will try to smother it once again. Almost 49, and I'm warming to the idea of "low-maintenance" gardening at last.

For a while I had a bit of a mania for euphorbias, with their weird colours and big billowing stems and otherworldly flowers. But I've decided to rid the garden of plants that maim and disfigure, and these are the worst offenders. I have several lasting scars where the sap of these plants has burned my skin. I will keep a couple; the "chameleon" with its early spring show of bronzy purple, and the giant in the back yard, partly because it's too big and scary to take on right now.

No comments: