Thursday, July 26, 2007

Good night little house


Hard to imagine I haven't back to the little house. On closing day I mowed the lawn one last time, added more cardboard under the mulch where weeds were coming through, planed and hung the closet door (ran out of time, so the new owner has a bit more planing to do), put a second coat of trim paint on three windows. Dug a couple of dozen potatoes from the garden to bring home. Then off to work, no ceremony or celebration.

Handed over the extra keys yesterday and got the cheque from the lawyer's.

Took it to the bank ("you can take this to the bank" as they say) but couldn't
deposit it - ooops, needed both our signatures, and a week's hold on the funds. How come whenever I have to provide a cheque for this stuff it has to be certified or a bank draft, but we get paid with the crappy kind?

Anyway, it was great to receive congratulations from the circle of women there who helped make it happen - they figured out ways to get the financing for an amateur who usually doesn't have enough loose cash to buy lunch, let alone a house in need of a major cash infusion.
There is one woman in particular who has a kind of brilliant and creative approach to financing. She showed me possibilities and strategies I could not have figured out myself. Some time back she had been off work for awhile, for health reasons. I have been so grateful for her support.

I found myself uttering to her some observation about how this project went pretty well "according to plan."

Then on my bike ride in to work I couldn't help feeling stupid and smug, for saying such a thing when so many things in her life and the lives of other people I know and care about are so clearly not going according to plan.

No comments: